City Of Edmonton
Systems Engineer (Edmonton Transit Service)
Edmonton Transit is adopting advanced technology to enhance the public transit service delivery. This includes deploying specialized technology systems, ranging from communications to video and data capture,to achieve the vision of providing safe, efficient and effective mobility for customers. Technology offers the potential to enhance almost every aspect of transit operation including customer service, service delivery, operation control, safety and security, service planning and vehicle maintenance.
Reporting to the Manager, Bus Technology, the Systems Engineer will be familiar with emerging technologies and promote process changes by working with various groups within Edmonton Transit and other City of Edmonton departments.
This position will provide specialized engineering expertise and management to various projects related to Edmonton Transit’s onboard technology systems such as Smart Bus, Automatic Passenger Counter (APC), Bus Camera Surveillance systems and infrastructure.
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will:
- Provide project management services for projects related to application of new technology, tender packages, policies and procedures, and service agreements
- Function as the technical expert for the branch for on board technology systems, including the full suite of Smart Bus Equipment (AVL), Bus Camera Systems (BCS), Automated Passenger Counters (APC), Radios, Smart Fare Equipment (SFR), and any future technology implementations
- Analyze, prepare and review specifications while directing consultants and contractors
- Liaise with other City departments to develop budget expenditures and approve project payments
- Research and prepare reports and presentations in order to provide professional advice to senior management on Transit’s technical subjects
- Recommend best courses of actions based on findings
- Coordinate development of capital budget for bus equipment and facilities
- Assist with preparation of current budget in order to establish project estimates, cash flow, perform variance analysis and variance reporting
- Adopt best practices and understand section and branch long term objectives in order to assess and provide ongoing recommendations for intelligent transportation system (ITS) technology deployment
- Manage engineering issues related to on-board technology systems and resolve complex technical issues with little or no support or resources
- Lead cross functional teams within and across branches in order to integrate technology solutions into the day to day operation of the transit system
- Develop, build and maintain in-house quality assurance and data analytics tools using open-source platforms and programming languages
- Support, mentor, and coach Engineering Work Experience to ensure projects and tasks are completed properly and in a timely manner
- Oversee the maintenance activities of systems installed on the bus fleet and related back office systems
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related engineering discipline
- Minimum of 4 years of engineering experience in utilizing various techniques such as computer networking, application integration, business process management, database management and/or computer programming
- Minimum of 4 years of systems integration experience integrating various vendor systems
- Membership with APEGA as Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or eligibility for registration with APEGA as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with electronic components, soldering, and computer hardware is an asset
- Additional course work in project management, estimating engineering design, economic analysis, safety codes and environmental engineering is an asset
- Knowledge and experience with the public transit CAD / AVL systems, wireless communication, Bus onboard video surveillance, Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) and other emerging transit technologies
- Skills in economic analysis and technical report writing is an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills are required
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills are required
- Proficiency in a Google Workspace environment with Gmail, Calendar, Sheets, and Docs
- Effective time management and organization skills with the ability to work with all levels of staff across the City of Edmonton
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (or provincial equivalent). Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver’s permit is a requirement of this position
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
Up to 1 permanent full-time position
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday – Friday. Note: This position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement with the flexibility to work from both home and the worksite.
Salary: $75,966.04 – $108,522.91 Annually
To apply for this job please visit recruitment.edmonton.ca.