|Hiring Organization||Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute|
|Post Name||Research Assistant|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||AUD 74000 To AUD 80000 Per Month|
|Location||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004|
This is a position for a research assistant with experience working with mice/rats and an interest in cardiology research. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about learning new skills and participating in a wide variety of research projects for academia and industry.
In this role, you will be expected to
- Assist with mouse and rat procedures for academic and industry research projects. Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute
- Support the preclinical cardiology surgery and imaging team.
- Learn and apply microsurgical and imaging techniques.
- Help to manage timetable and scheduling of projects.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Analysis of data (e.g. preclinical imaging – training provided as necessary).
- Organize records and data for the preparation of manuscripts, reports, and new funding.
- Demonstrate an ability to make and meet deadlines without compromising close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proactive attendance at team meetings and attendance at all relevant seminars and staff meetings.
- Advise within the field of research to postgraduate students.
- Assure compliance with affirmative action and safety programs.
Skills and Experience
You will have
- Academic knowledge of a health science discipline, (e.g. biomedical science, anatomy, physiology, pathology, veterinary) or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Research experience in rodent (mouse and/or rat) handling is desirable.
- Background knowledge with assessments of any of the following would be preferable: cardiac biology, cardiac function, and heart disease; neurology, neurological disease; and/or small animal imaging.
- High level of interpersonal skills, which enable the appointee to liaise effectively with a wide range of people at a variety of levels.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to participate positively in a team and manage professional relationships.
Working at the Baker Institute offers flexibility, generous salary packaging, an employee assistance program, and an active social club as well as modern offices and laboratories adjacent to the Alfred Hospital and within walking distance to St Kilda Road, Chapel Street, and Fawkner Park.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.