|Hiring Organization||BBC London|
|Post Name||Junior Software Engineer|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||GBP 15 To GBP 18 Per Hour|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom W12 7FA|
Corporate Digital & Applications (CDA) is a small team with a big impact. We make an exciting range of apps used by nearly every BBC staff member in their work to deliver content and value to the audience. We look after the BBC intranet, internal web and mobile apps, and external corporate sites which receive millions of views from our audience every month.
As the BBC reaffirms its digital ambition, we have an opportunity for a Junior Software Engineer to join our team and work alongside other developers to improve and develop our suite of products.
We will take a genuine interest in your career and help you develop and grow with training, hands-on experience, and regular feedback in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. We also want you to take regular personal development time to develop your skills in your own way.
- Learn and apply relevant technologies used by the team to make effective contributions to our code base.
- Work closely with the product team
- Participate in the development of effective software that meets given specifications.
- Participate in the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code reviews, agile planning, and continuous delivery
- Write appropriate unit tests to ensure code-quality
Are you the right candidate?
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- A passion for web development and a willingness to learn and develop
- Some experience in modern programming languages and/or frameworks
- Excellent communications skills and a collaborative attitude
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Basic knowledge of software code versioning and repositories (such as Git)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at the offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organization.
- Unrivaled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certifications.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance, and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme, and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviors in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion, and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.