|Hiring Organization||Shree Ghanapathy Temple, Wimbledon|
|Post Title||Jobs in UK for Indian|
|Post Name||Religious Worker–Saiva Kurukkal/Hindu Priest|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||GBP 16000 Per Year|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom SW19 8PU|
The Shree Ganapathy Temple is a leading Hindu faith organization based in South West London, UK. The temple, dedicated to Lord Ganapathy, was the first fully consecrated south Indian Hindu temple in Europe.
We have an outstanding reputation with our peers and other faith bodies throughout the UK. We are well known for our focus on religious worship, commitment to multi-faith activities, religious education, and service to the wider community within the UK.
Our temple is visited by over 3000 students every year as part of their religious education studies. We are a prominent Hindu faith organization in London. Our main worship facilities are of outstanding architectural merit, having been refurbished in a mixed contemporary/traditional style. For more information about our organization see other parts of this website.
We have an urgent need to employ a full-time Saiva Kurukkal (Religious Worker in a non-pastoral & non-preaching role) to support our existing team of senior priests and the management committee.
Saiva Kurukkals are ordained Hindu Priests (of a Brahmin lineage) that undertake specific duties in support of the senior priests (Ministers of Religion) and the religious activities related to our method/form of worship.
The successful individual will have in-depth knowledge of Hindu religious ceremonies, Mandapalli (preparation of sacred food), experience at and be qualified to conduct traditional Saiva Hindu funerals/last rites ceremonies. They will have a well-established background and proven experience in undertaking the duties listed below.
- The ability to conduct traditional Hindu Saivite funerals/ last rites ceremonies is essential for this role
- Bickham, Home, and Pooja/preparation for daily and special ceremonies
- Alangaram and decoration to all Deities
- (Madapalli work (preparation of sacred food)
- Assist Temple Priests with religious ceremonies, festivals, and daily activities
- Garland making.
- Other associated duties as directed.
Ordained/conferred to Kurukkkalship (Vedaagamas)
- Must be able to perform last rites and Hindu Saivite funerals (essential)
- Know and ability to recite/chant Vedic mantras and Slokas
- 3+ years experience working at a Saiva Hindu Temple
- Must have strong communication skills and be able to converse in both English and Tamil
This vacancy is exempt from the: Sex Discrimination, (SDA) Section 7(II)(e); the Race Relations Act (RRA), and Equality due to genuine religious requirements. As a condition of your employment, you will be required to reside within the vicinity of the temple premises (in accommodation provided by us).
- Discounted/free food
- Accommodation provided
- Priest, Non-Pastoral: 2 years (Required)
- Certificate of Higher Education (Preferred)
- Conferred to Kurukkkalship (Vedaagamas)
- Fluent Tamil (required), ability to converse in English is required (to a recognized standard), and other languages are desirable. e.