|Hiring Organization||Legal Aid Chicago|
|Post Name||Staff Attorney|
|Qualification||Applicants must have a J.D. degree with an Illinois law license, be awaiting results from the July bar exam, or be licensed in another state and able to waive into the Illinois bar.|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||USD 61000 To USD 77000 Per Year|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States 60603|
- Provide extended representation, including advocacy and litigation, in the areas CPG handles in bankruptcy, state, and federal courts
- Interview eligible clients on a wide range of consumer issues and provide advice and brief services in appropriate cases
- Participate in complex litigation or advocacy to address systemic issues
- Work collaboratively with Legal Aid Chicago staff, students, and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services
- Conduct community education and outreach and build relationships with community partners in poverty-fighting efforts
- Participate in training to agencies, advocates, clients, or community groups about legal services and rights impacting low-income persons and other vulnerable persons
- Participate in other activities related to poverty law including publication, permissible legislative and administrative advocacy, media relations, and fundraising as needed
- Maintain case files and accurate timekeeping in an electronic case management system
- Assist with grant reporting, as appropriate and applicable
- Handle other duties as determined by the Supervisory Attorneys and the Director
Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life, long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- Applicants must have a J.D. degree with an Illinois law license, be awaiting results from the July bar exam, or be licensed in another state and able to waive into the Illinois bar.
- The successful applicant will be collegial and well-organized and demonstrate a commitment to and experience with our client communities and/or people living in poverty applicants are encouraged to share that experience in their cover letter.
- Applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Bankruptcy litigation experience is preferred.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
A cover letter, resume, official law school transcript, writing sample, and the contact information of two professional references are required to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status.
Applicants who have experience with our client communities are encouraged to apply.